FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Saturday, February 28, 2015

NIMOY'S MOVING LETTER TO TROUBLED TEEN

{Left Click the image to see it bigger}


In 1968, a young girl , identified only as F. C., 

wrote FaVE magazine in response to an article on Spock, 

that being half-white, half-black she felt an outcast, ending the letter, "I guess I'll never have any friends."


It touched Leonard deeply.  

He wrote the magazine a lengthy letter for the girl,

describing the hurt and confusion Spock felt at being labeled a half-breed.

Spock decided that since he was not accepted by his school mates, he would forget about being popular and concentrate on improving himself.

Spock decided it was more important to be true to himself and know his true value.  

Spock said to himself:

"Not everyone will accept me.  But there will be those who will accept me for what I am.

I will develop myself to such a point of excellence and intelligence 

that I will be able to see through any problem and deal with any crisis.

I will become such a master of my own abilities that there will always be a place for me."

And when you see him on the bridge of the Enterprise, you understand that he made the right decision.


More Quotes from the letter:

"Popularity is merely the crumbs of greatness."

"Spock said, 'Why should I listen to the insults of those who don't really know me?'"

"Instead of trying to be powerful, Spock decided to become useful."

"Instead of being interested in being popular, he became interested in being intelligent."


And that was the kind of man 
Leonard Nimoy was.

10 comments:

  1. How nice, and sadly rare, it is to discover a feted celebrity with a heart. And intelligence. Who is interested in things other than his/her self.
    Vale Leonard Nimoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elephant's child:
    Yes, I just had to share that wonderful story about how caring an individual Mr. Nimoy really was. A true hero. May the Father embrace him and grant him a healed whole body and spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing that he chose intelligence makes me like Leonard Nimoy even better. Such a cool guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful thing to do for that girl. Becoming more useful is a great goal as it helps others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Nimoy was indeed a great role model. The world has lost a truly wonderful individual, but there are others all around us. We just have to look not only in our own backyard but in Bloggerland. So many wise men and women, including you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet, touching kindness Nimoy did by writing that letter.

    The New York Times has over a thousand comments on his obituary, and a top rated one is by a woman who writes that as an immigrant girl she always felt like an outsider. But the character of Spock and the multinational crew of the Enterprise was for her an epiphany of what life could be like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this. It shows me more of who Mr. Nimoy was. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. D.G.:
    He was a cool, caring man. I miss him already.

    Alex:
    That letter might have made all the difference in her life.

    ANN:
    You're right: treasures are all around us. Thanks for the nice words for me, but You and Jen and so many others I know deserve them more! :-)

    Walter:
    Amen.

    Helena:
    Nimoy was a special person to have done that for that hurting young teen. Spock spoke to the outsider in all of us. Roddenberry created an icon for all of us to shoot for. :-)

    Shelly:
    Yes, this shows us the soul of Mr. Nimoy, didn't it?

    A VIRUS DID IN MY OLD COMPUTER SO I AM BORROWING ONE TO REACH OUT TO ALL OF YOU. WATCH OUT FOR THOSE NASTY THINGS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Roland - great he can rise above his so-called celebrity status and just be him ... How wonderful for the youngster to be able to read these inspiring words ... we need to be who we are and behave as we best can ... lovely - sorry about your computer - that's a pain ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete